Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blast from the 1976 past: Vom!

     You know when you have a song stuck on the broken record player that is your brain? That’s where I’m at right now with Vom’s “Too Animalistic.” For a defunct Richard Meltzer band whose name is short for vomit, that’s pretty bad-ass that THIS song has the dumbest yet catchiest chorus EVER.
     Before I get into any warm hot tingly feelings too much, there’s another Vom song that needs mentioning too called “I’m in love with your mom.” I mean, Meltzer, I know my mom’s a good-looking old lady and the dudes may very well want to shag her, but, really? You silly goose, you!
     The video for “Too Animalistic” is on youtube. The band’s a bunch of dopey Venice beach-looking characters blaring along on their instruments. Just some 1970s punk rock’n’rollers having some good clean fun! Makes me wanna take a bath with my duckies and my-little-ponies (no bathroom beat-off, promise ma!) and have the boys of Vom scrub all those hard-to-reach places.
     The best part of the song, besides a simple and hooky chorus chanting “Too An-i-mal-listic” is the shear simplicity of the music. No guitar god getting their rocks off to how fast it can play. No prog-rock “trying something different” shtick. Nope, none of that. Just straight forward rock’n’roll. For what it is, I can dig it. Nothing complicated. Immediate gratification. A sonic suck-off from start to cum, leaving me satisfied. I’m in love with you Vom.

1 comment: