Wednesday, April 25, 2012

57 Days of Dresses, a retrospect (part 1 of 8)

    As the final day of 57 Days of Dresses approaches, I've realized that there's things about this project I'm going to miss, and there's things about this project I'm not going to miss too much. One thing I'll miss is an excuse to wear my dress wardrobe--which, by the way, has expanded to 91 dresses since the inception of this project--and not wear only my favorite pieces. One thing I won't miss is finding locations to take photos, but I'll miss seeing the wonder and beauty in the random, the wild and the mundane. The serendipity of wearing each dress and learning that I don't really like it has allowed me to clean out my wardrobe some, and I might even make a substantial downsize. I even learned that I love sweatpants!
    So, before presenting my last dress, I feel that a full retrospect is in order. So here we go, in celebration of the uncomfortable, the restrictive, the oppressive, the liberating, the beautiful, the empowering, the dress.

The seminal Dress Day 1: A vintage a-line mini that I still have. I went to the Is She Weird, Is She White show that night. Oddly enough, considering this Pixies tribute band took its name from a Pixies song, the band didn't play that song during their set.

 Dress Day 2 on my Nashville apartment balcony. That aloe vera plant of mine has pretty much turned into an overgrown weed in a pot that sends out shoots of new aloe plants at any chance. I love that plant, and I love this dress, and still have it.

Dress Day 3 was a lazy day. Honestly, I don't think I left my apartment at all that day. Still have this one, too

On Dress Day 4 I used my dented-up old van as a prop. Interestingly, many people who saw this thought someone really did hit my van recently. Six years ago Jason hit a parking lot pole when leaving my apartment in Arizona. I do still have this tender little mini

Dress Day 5's photos were taken in front of this massive rosemary bush in the back of Gojo. On a side note, Gojo is the best Ethiopian restaurant in Nashville, and I hope it's there forever. I do still have this dress.

Dress Day 6 was a quickie before heading off to the Scene. At the time, I just started interning there and I was very excited! I don't have this dress anymore, but Jason still has this guitar.

Dress Day 7 was the Psychedelic Furs show at the Cannery Ballroom. They played "Talk Talk Talk" in its entirety. It was awesome. According to the bassist, Tim Butler, the Furs get a lot of their influence from Roxy Music and the Sex Pistols. I do still have this awesome dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment